Hosted a dinner last night. I couldn't click pictures of anything. I was so engrossed in serving and attending.
This was the leftover from last night's showstopper dish from the main course menu. I made a huge kadai full of this. Except the elderly, no one paid much heed to the Indian food 😐 and attacked this.
I finally sat in peace & relished this small portion for lunch today and loved every bite of it. :)
WOK FRIED VEGETABLES IN SCHEZWAN AND LEMONGRASS SAUCE
Recipe: makes 2 big bowls
Ingredients: for the sauce
- Sesame Oil: 2 tbsps
- Garlic: 6 cloves chopped + 4
- Ginger: 2 inch
- Dried Red chillies: 3 (add more if you like it hot)
- Red Onion: 1, chopped
- Star Anise: 2
- Lemongrass stalks: 3
- Water: 4 cups
- Cornflour: 2 tbsps (mixed in few tbsps of cold water)
- Salt to taste
- Schezwan sauce: 4 tbsps
- Dark Soy sauce: 3 tbsps
- In a small bowl, soak dried chillies in hot water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Then blend the chillies with 4 cloves of garlic and ginger. Make a smooth paste using the chillies water. Keep aside
- In a pan, heat oil. Add star anise. After few seconds add lemon grass stalks followed by garlic. Let it infuse in the oil for few seconds but not change the colour.
- Now add red onion and a little salt. Saute till it becomes translucent. Then add ginger-garlic chillies paste and cook till rawness goes.
- Mix in soy sauce and Schezwan sauce.
- Now add water and cook till the rawness of water goes.
- Now add cornflour. And cook till it thickens a bit.
- Switch off the flame and leave the sauce covered for couple of hours.
For Stir fry:
Keep all your veggies chopped and ready before your start making stir fry.
- Sesame oil: 1 tbsp
- Garlic: 6 to 7 cloves chopped
- Ginger juliennes: 1 tbsp
- Spring onion white: 3 heads, chopped (Keep the green aside for garnishing)
- Red onion: 1, cubed
- Mushrooms: about 15, chopped in chunks
- Babycorn: 7 to 8, sliced
- Zucchini: 1 large, chopped in chunks
- Yellow squash: 1 medium, chopped in chunks
- Baby spinach leaves: 1 bunch
- All three peppers: 1 each, cubed
- Cauliflower florets: 1 cup
- Firm Tofu or Cottage Cheese: 200gms, cubed
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli flakes: about 2 tbsps
- Schezwan sauce: 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup: 2 tbsps
- 1 tbsp Cornflour mixed in 1 cup water
* In a deep bottom wok, heat the oil on high flame. Add garlic and saute till sticky. Quickly add red onion, ginger juliennes and spring onion. Saute for a minute.
* Next add mushrooms followed by babycorns. Add a little salt and red chilli flakes. Cook till babycorn softens.
* Now add Zucchini and Yellow squash. Saute for a minute. Next add baby spinach. Cook till leaves shrink.
* Tip in all three peppers followed by tofu.
* Now add Schezwan sauce, Soy sauce and Ketchup. Give a quick stir. Cook for 2 more minutes.
* Pour in the sauce over the veggies, along with cornflour mix and cook till desired consistency has been achieved. Check for seasoning.
* Cover it for few minutes. Then garnish it with spring onion greens.
Serve it hot with steam or fried rice or noodles. Enjoy! 🍜🥘